Skip to main content

When the Common Cold Feels Like the Plague of Death

I'm sick for the second time in a year. A whole year. Seriously, that is a personal best in terms of health. I mean really. When I was back in social work, I would get sick every other month. That was because I worked in really close quarters with adorable germ sponges, also known as babies and toddlers. Now in Corporate America, I rarely come in contact with children. Therefore, I've enjoyed an entire year of little to no icky sickies. However, somehow, somewhere, I caught a nasty bug and have a common cold. Shouldn't be a big deal but because I was so used to being healthy, this common cold feels like the plague of death.

Stuffy nose. Runny nose. Sneezing. Coughing. Exhaustion. Hot flashes. You name it, I got it. Also a bit of an upset tummy. It is like my entire immune system is on vacation. It sucks because this is a beautiful weekend in Philadelphia and I would love nothing more than to get a nice run in and hike with my dog in a local park. But alas, I've been outside a few times but the walk tires me out. So I come in and rest. I'm hoping a day of mostly resting will allow me to be somewhat functional tomorrow. I'd like to kickbox, run errands and do laundry tomorrow before gearing up for another epic work week.

Epic about sums it up. I finally have a permanent boss! This is great! I have someone who I can go to for questions, ask for support, and help direct me so we're actually accomplishing things in the Marketing Department versus just putting out fires here and there. Triage mode, is what I call it. I've done well these past six months but I am more than ready to apply a concrete strategy to my work. So, yay for the beginning of structure!

Life is life. I've been really tired and am officially panicking about my upcoming half marathon that I'm not ready for. It is in November, as I have mentioned before. Dun Dun Dun. I've been sporadically kickboxing due to edema in the ankles, exhaustion, and this damn cold. I'd like to be back on track.

That is about it from this end. Just thought I'd provide a quick update since I'm laying low and trying to do what I can to help my body beat this stupid stupid cold.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are Destined for Greatness

I pondered the idea of writing "You are Destined for Greatness" and taping it to my bathroom mirror. It sounds like an incredibly cheesy idea straight out of a self-help book, but I thought it was worth trying. Upon further relfection of this idea, I realized it would fail. Not because I would laugh at that statement daily, but rather, I take 100 degree showers. So the ink would run and the paper would crinkle. Plus, I need the whole mirror to examine myself in the morning anyway.

What is greatness? Is it the attribute of world leaders and life changers, or is it a quality in which we can all possess? Is greatness a thing we strive for? Does the prospect of greatness motivate us?

I think it may motivate me. In high school, countless people told me "Mary Anna, you are going places." "Mary Anna, you're going to do big things." "Mary Anna, you're going to be somebody big someday." I'm trying to capture some of that high school MAness …

7 Days Down...23 to Go #Whole30

I survived my first week of #Whole30 with only 3 minor cheats (all accidental). The first, I mentioned in a previous post was the Starbucks coconut milk that is not compliant. Didn't know, wasn't that much milk, everything is fine. The second cheat occurred when I went out to eat with my friend David. I got steak and eggs for dinner, a compliant meal with a side of sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms are typically compliant except when they are sauteed in garlic and butter. Butter is a no no. So to my horror, my delicious mushrooms were drenched in butter. I literally blotted each mushroom on a napkin before eating it. 

The third and final cheat was a oversight cheat. I ordered a Cobb salad for lunch yesterday with my friend. I can eat all the things in the Cobb, granted I should have asked about where the bacon came from/how it was prepared and read the menu better. I said no to dressing which was fine but I failed to notice the delicious salad comes with crumbles of cheese! Not …

Holy Shit, August.

This month seems nothing short of incredibly. I mean, seriously. It may have been the best month of my life and that is no exaggeration. Let's recap:

August 6
On August 6th my best friend David and I went to see Phillip Phillips and Goo Goo Dolls in concert at Festival Pier. We got there early but a line had formed all the way to Dave and Busters. I thought for sure we'd be stuck in the back of the concert crowd but upon entering the venue I learned that only two full rows had formed (it was GA). I snagged us a spot in row 3/4 a little to the right of the stage. It was perfect. We're going to make it a point to go see them every year. Such a fun concert! 

August 12
I bought tickets months ago but didn't have any friends available for this magical weekend. It was a party bus day trip to Atlantic City. Within the first 20 minutes of the bus ride I had made some friends. I knew the hostess but that was it. Unfortunately after some imbibing I found I was way more interested in…