Monday, December 14, 2015

Little Moments

An end-of-the-year review is due, but I'll save that for another week or so. My blogging has been less frequent due to my continued demanding work/life schedule. Longer days, less hours to do the things I need to do and being a dog mom. This morning as I hustled to get myself ready for work, I laughed thinking how there was no way I would be able to be a functional human parent. My kids would never be on time for anything. 

To cope with the stress of it all, I've been doing yoga every other day and running. I'm noticing the yoga has improved my mindfulness. Like just yesterday as I was in the middle of the practice, I looked around my living room and noticed a few things for the first time. Like how the bottom ring of my grandfather's Irish flag was rusted or how there was a little bug, dead, trapped in my ceiling light. These things seem innocuous but I felt aware, like in the moment. That was the important thing. 

As 2015 comes to a close, I'm trying to be mindful of the little moments. Like how it feels when a breeze sneaks in my bedroom window (we've had unseasonably warm weather this winter). Sometimes I play a game. I close my eyes and just listen to everything around me and then identify the sounds in my head. I think I named them all until I realize there is a cricket chirping in the background or someone's back door is screeching as it comes to a close. The game relaxes my mind, as does the yoga. Both are beneficial considering my weekdays are days of survival. I must get up on time. I must take care of Bronx. I must be productive at work. I must eat well. I must find time for kickboxing. I must get ready for the next day. I must get to bed on time. I must get a good nights rest. 

Another one of those little moments happened on Sunday. You wouldn't think much of it, but it was a great moment. I had just finished a two mile walk/run with Bronx. He was panting and slowing down, the warm weather and the exercise wore him out. I reached down and pat him on the head. He moved it up toward my hand, smiling wide, looking happy. Sure, he was probably just panting but it was the perfect mother dog moment. I did it a second time and so did he. He looked me in the eye, tongue hanging out, mouth open wide and pushed his head against my hand. He seemed pleased. 

I plan on continuing to look for those little moments as the days of December pass by. I'm still working on my goal list for 2016. It is going to be hard to top this year, as you'll read in a week or so. All my goals were met this year, I'm not sure I can do that again. We'll have to see. 

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...