Monday, February 27, 2017

The Flu is Not Your Friend

Ok, let's face it. The flu is no one's friend. I got it for the first time in as long as I can remember. Last Sunday (not yesterday but the week before) I went on a nice long hike with Bronx and my bff. We did about 5 miles PLUS I got a one mile trail run in to keep the #RunStreakPhl alive. All was well until Monday morning when I had a few body aches, which turned into A LOT of body aches and a fever and some chills on top. I felt awful. I left around 2:30pm and headed home. I barely got Bronx out and back in before I collapsed in my bed, pulling the covers tightly around me despite it being 65 degrees outside. 

For the next week I battled the icky sickies. I took off Tuesday but had to work from home 12:30-6pm to get something done. I went in for a half day on Wednesday but was miserable. I got things done and met my deadlines but I felt like total crap. It was such a waste. Thursday I took off again and stayed off. Friday I returned for a full work day but I was still coughing and feeling sort of out of it. 

Saturday I had to work but I felt a lot better. I even made it out for a run! But I did too much too fast and by Saturday evening I was coughing again every spare second. So Sunday I was down for the count. 

I will say in all of this, I've still managed to keep the running streak alive. They let you do the elliptical or walk, so I've been doing a lot of walking to keep it going. I feel like I ran half the month and walked half the month. Yesterday I walked because I was coughing every five seconds and it was cold and windy. I think tonight I might try a run again after errands when I get home. Tomorrow is the last day of the streak. Another 30 days of healthy habits in the books.

For March I'm doing the Plank Challenge. Each day I'll be doing a plank, uping the duration each week. So Week 1 - one 15 second plank each day; Week 2 - one 30 second plank each day; Week 3 - one 45 second plank each day and Week 4 - one 60 second plank each day. I should have abs by April. This also includes increasing my water intake, my vegetable intake and continuing to run and kickbox. I've lost close to 30 pounds since January 1st, well on my goal of losing 10 pounds a month. I want to keep crushing it. 

So for now, I'm just easing back into my routine, hoping I don't get sick for quite some time. That was no joke. It was especially hard when the weather was amazing outside and I couldn't go play in it. No runs. No hikes. Just brief walks with Bronx before rest again since it tired me out. Blegh. So over it and so glad I'm finally on the mend. I thought I would be sick forever!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...