Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2018 Here We Go!

New Year. New Me. 

Totally kidding. There is something refreshing about a New Year. Ironically, January 1st is not the only day of the year when you can make a fresh start. You have 365 opportunities to make a fresh start or a positive life change. I guess the hype and support in early January pressures people into making changes. Of course many of those changes and good intentions fall to the wayside by mid February and early March. Gym memberships begin to go unused. Food prepping takes a back seat. The stress of everyday life takes over. 

Not. This. Time. 

I don't have any resolutions such as "lose weight" or "be a better person." But I sure as hell have some goals I'm working on. 

  • Become a morning person - I hate mornings. I'd rather sleep in until 10:30am every day. When I wake up for work, I usually get up at the next to last second, throw my clothes on, grab my dog and take him for a quick walk, come home and feed him while slapping some make-up on my face and then rush to my car while muttering obscenities. I'm trying to appreciate mornings. One morning in late 2017, I had to get up early to move my car because it was parked in a construction area and had to be relocated by 7am. I was amazed how much free time I had before work. I spent it laying in bed playing on my phone but I realized it was time I could be using to work on my goals and things. So, trying to wake up early each day and be awake before I take on the world. 
  • Drink more water - Why is drinking water so damn hard? I don't hate it. I don't mind it. I'm kind of indifferent when it comes to water. Sure, I prefer liquids with flavor like coffee or tea or sparkling water. Just plain old H20? Eh, why? However, so many studies out there have linked drinking water to a bazillion health benefits including: clearer skin, weight loss, increased mental function, increased organ function, increased immune system and increased energy. A good friend of mine got me a water bottle for Christmas. I have so many water bottles but this one is nice. It is robust and is 32 oz. I literally just have to drink TWO of those bottles a day. That is it. TWO. I can do it. So I start the day off with lemon water and then my second bottle will be plain water. 
  • Read one book a month - I love to read, but I feel I never have the time to do so. Why? Well, besides my commute averaging two hours a day (hour back and forth), I like to spend my evenings vegging out on my couch watching shows. I screw around on my phone, watch a few shows and go to bed. There is plenty of time to write, do work for my part-time job, or read a book. Instead I choose the most passive activity I can find. The best way to be a good writer (besides write a lot) is to read a lot. I've committed myself to read one book per month. 
  • Write Often - One of my most favorite things to do is write. I never want that craft to dull in shine so I've set up a notebook on my night table. I plan to write in it every day. Doesn't have to be a journal entry or a long story. I just want to write something. Last night I wrote a poem before going to bed. Off to a great start. Can't wait to read the year in review of writing come December. 
  • Get out there - Compete in more story slams, try stand-up open mic nights, visit art museums, hang out with friends on work nights, travel. I need to get out in the world more. Set up shop in a cafe and write. Hang out with a friend for a few hours even though I'm tired. Compete every damn month (or try to) in the First Person Arts Story Slam. Revamp the podcast, write more, put myself out there. 
  • Take care of thyself - One theme that was pretty consistent in 2017 is that I get sick...A Lot. I had the flu in February, some respiratory stuff in the summer. I got sick in September and that lasted a few months. Then right before Christmas I got sick again and wound up in the ER. So, let's stop that shit. In addition to drinking more water and taking vitamins, I'm really trying to keep my health up to snuff. This includes taking more vitamins, eating cleaner, adopting (already started this) a nightly skin care routine, putting make up on with purpose, moisturizing. Adulting is hard, I mean you have to drink enough water, exercise, take care of your skin, eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, be social, look pretty, take care of your kids/dog, succeed at work and do that each and every day. I'm going to do it though. 
  • Mental Health - I have anxiety (who doesn't), but recently my "time anxiety" has been kicked up a notch. I am anxious about getting to places on time. I'm anxious about having enough time to do things. I'm anxious about not having enough time in the day. I'm anxious about wasting time. I'm anxious about how much time I have on earth. I'm anxious about where my life plan is now compared to others. I'm anxious all the time. To combat that, I'm going to explore meditation. I feel like my brain is a never-ending rotating hamster wheel but I'm going to try it out and see if it helps. Also, I plan on continuing to use my bullet journal as my lifeline. 
Sounds like a lot, but I find if I really focus on each goal, I can accomplish great things. I did it in 2016. I did a lot of great things in 2017. Let's make the magic happen in 2018. This is the year. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...