Skip to main content

What limits?

Last post, I talked about pushing and breaking my limits. My posts have been pretty fitness heavy because well, that was my main focus for 2016: health. 

On Sunday, February 21st, I did something that I have never in my 28 years been able to do. I ran a 5K without stopping to walk. I ran the whole thing and it was amazing! I was using the Run into Spring 5K as a diagnostic for the Broad Street Run. I wanted to know what I needed to work on and what running bits were doing just fine. It was a chilly morning. Fortunately everything was running on schedule. Bronx did his business quickly. I had time to eat breakfast. I arrived to the race an hour and a half early (oops). 

The race was small so I knew I'd end up in the back eventually. As the clock started we began to run. I took a slow pace so I wouldn't lose my breath so quickly. Two senior citizens passed me. I thought for sure I was last. I started to psyche myself out because it was so embarrassing to be last but I quickly realized there were a few people behind me. By mile 1 I felt pretty good and hadn't stopped to walk. I decided my focus wouldn't be speed but endurance. Typically, after Mile 1, I get so happy I ran a mile that I stop to walk. I find it very hard to pick back up and run again. So I thought...let's do this. Let's run without walking. 

By Mile 2, many of the runners had begun the loop back. I started getting high fives and thumbs up. Once again I felt that many of these runners probably thought this was my first 5K when in fact its like my 12th or something. I was still grateful for the support. By the time I reached the water station, I huffed as I grabbed my water and said "I haven't stopped to walk! This is amazing!"

I continued on my slow as hell pace. As I neared the end of Mile 2, my left knee started to hurt and my hip hurt. I wanted to walk but instead chose to stare at the yellow lines in the road and run alongside them. I let my mind wander, thinking about anything except breathing and running. It worked! I couldn't look to far ahead because I'd get discouraged and want to walk. A few people were behind me. I slow but gradually approached the finish line. I started to get emotional because I was actually going to do it. I was going to run 3.1 miles without walking. As I crossed I screamed I DIDN'T STOP TO WALK!!!! and accepted my finishers medal from a toddler. It was a huge accomplishment. 


I look like hell and maybe like I'm 45, but I did it!

Riding on the high of that accomplishment made my day perfect. I posted it on Facebook and also on RUN 215's Facebook group. By the end of the day I had almost 600 likes and 50 comments. Talk about support. 

I spent my afternoon hiking Wissahickon with my best friend and Bronx. This Sunday was also Bronx and my 1 year adoption anniversary. He loves hiking so I thought a nice hike was an appropriate way to celebrate. Turns out our total hike was 8 miles! So I ran a 5K and hiked 8 miles. Brilliant, right?


Here is me and Bronx one year ago on a cold, snowy day in February and Bronx and I now at Wissahickon. 

After that insane hike which was mildly treacherous thanks to some lovely snow/ice/mud, David and I went to our favorite buffet place to reward ourselves for such a fit day. It was delicious. 

I took Monday off in advance so I could recover from my spike in physical activity. I spent the day doing laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping and made sure I got a pedicure and did some yoga too. It was a perfect way to set the tone for the week ahead. I'm so grateful I did because come Tuesday morning some major changes occurred at my job and I received a heaping pile of new responsibilities. It has been an exhausting but exciting week. 

I feel strong. I really do. To prepare to Broad Street, I'm going to participate in 2 5 mile races in March. That should help me build up my mileage and determine what exactly happens after 3 miles. 

What an amazing weekend. It was perfect. 

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are Destined for Greatness

I pondered the idea of writing "You are Destined for Greatness" and taping it to my bathroom mirror. It sounds like an incredibly cheesy idea straight out of a self-help book, but I thought it was worth trying. Upon further relfection of this idea, I realized it would fail. Not because I would laugh at that statement daily, but rather, I take 100 degree showers. So the ink would run and the paper would crinkle. Plus, I need the whole mirror to examine myself in the morning anyway.

What is greatness? Is it the attribute of world leaders and life changers, or is it a quality in which we can all possess? Is greatness a thing we strive for? Does the prospect of greatness motivate us?

I think it may motivate me. In high school, countless people told me "Mary Anna, you are going places." "Mary Anna, you're going to do big things." "Mary Anna, you're going to be somebody big someday." I'm trying to capture some of that high school MAness …

7 Days Down...23 to Go #Whole30

I survived my first week of #Whole30 with only 3 minor cheats (all accidental). The first, I mentioned in a previous post was the Starbucks coconut milk that is not compliant. Didn't know, wasn't that much milk, everything is fine. The second cheat occurred when I went out to eat with my friend David. I got steak and eggs for dinner, a compliant meal with a side of sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms are typically compliant except when they are sauteed in garlic and butter. Butter is a no no. So to my horror, my delicious mushrooms were drenched in butter. I literally blotted each mushroom on a napkin before eating it. 

The third and final cheat was a oversight cheat. I ordered a Cobb salad for lunch yesterday with my friend. I can eat all the things in the Cobb, granted I should have asked about where the bacon came from/how it was prepared and read the menu better. I said no to dressing which was fine but I failed to notice the delicious salad comes with crumbles of cheese! Not …

Holy Shit, August.

This month seems nothing short of incredibly. I mean, seriously. It may have been the best month of my life and that is no exaggeration. Let's recap:

August 6
On August 6th my best friend David and I went to see Phillip Phillips and Goo Goo Dolls in concert at Festival Pier. We got there early but a line had formed all the way to Dave and Busters. I thought for sure we'd be stuck in the back of the concert crowd but upon entering the venue I learned that only two full rows had formed (it was GA). I snagged us a spot in row 3/4 a little to the right of the stage. It was perfect. We're going to make it a point to go see them every year. Such a fun concert! 

August 12
I bought tickets months ago but didn't have any friends available for this magical weekend. It was a party bus day trip to Atlantic City. Within the first 20 minutes of the bus ride I had made some friends. I knew the hostess but that was it. Unfortunately after some imbibing I found I was way more interested in…