Monday, March 9, 2015

Adventures of a Dog Mom




There are a few things I have learned since becoming a Dog Mom less than one month ago.  One is that Bronx Brutus and I can not go for a walk without at least one person identifying him by breed. That's right, almost every walk someone makes a Boxer comment. He has been called Boxerface, Boxerman, Boxergram, Boxer Boxer....you name it. Everyone loves a Boxer. They are amazing dogs, smart...loyal...funny...and exuberant.

Bronx has adjusted to my apartment nicely. He absolutely loves his bed. LOVES it. Whenever I look for him when he is not in the same room as me, he is in his bed. He also is a huge cuddlebutt, which is why I wanted a Boxer specifically. I mean any chance he gets he will sit on me, curl up in my lap, sleep on me, snuggle next to me, put his paws on my legs...etc. He loves to be up on me and I love that about him. 

He displayed impeccable manners when I first brought him home. Now his true colors are showing. He's not bad by any means but he's showing his "comfort" level with me. Yesterday we were walking and he got so excited he tried to bite on his leash. That is puppy behavior! He also begs a little bit (we're working on it) and loves to jump up on people. It's so cute because it is a very controlled and deliberate jump but we can't have that. I don't want him jumping up on kids. So no jumping. At first he was really good with other dogs. Now he's getting to be a bit of a bully. I'm going to have to socialize him more to teach him that other dogs are friend not foe. He got in a fight at the dog park the other day and I had to drag him through the mud to get out after an embarrassing showing of Alpha Male. 

If he can't get it together and play nice with other pups, we may not be able to take advantage of doggy daycare. Which means he will be stuck in my apartment for hours on end 5 days a week. :-( 

He likes his food. I had him on Nature's Recipe limited ingredient easily digestible food. Then I put him on Nutro same deal. He happily gobbles up both but I think he likes the Nutro better so we are sticking with that. 

His favorite toy is his treat ball. He rolls it around the apartment and it dispenses treats at random. He could play with that thing for hours. Loves it! He also has bonded with a stuffed snowman and his heart toy I brought him home with. It says "puppy love." 

I will say being accountable for another living creature 24/7 is a major adjustment but I wouldn't change it for the world. I absolutely love him. He makes me laugh. (He stares at stuff cooking in the oven if I put the light on). He is full of energy (but not destructive). He is a clown dog for sure. 

There will be more to learn though! 

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...