Monday, June 29, 2015

Road Trip with Baye


My joke was that I want hiking with "baye" this weekend. Baye is actually my dog son, Bronx. On Sunday we decided to be spontaneous and take advantage of the no-humidity weather. We drove up to Bushkill, PA to hike Bushkill Falls. It was the perfect day for it. The park was pretty muddy so we got wet and dirty hiking for 3.5 hours, but it was worth it. Bronx did really well on the leash. I am convinced he is part mountain goat because of how well he handled walking on the jagged rocks.


He barked at his first waterfall. He walked up to it, all curious and cocked his head to the side. He decided to bark at it. It was kind of funny even though he startled some visitors next to us. He hates water and is afraid of loud noises but he was pretty brave throughout the whole hike. He didn't slow down, not even after I realized we missed one of the falls and had to double back to go see it. It was wet and treacherous, (think uphill slippery rocks and mud) but worth it. I had his portable water dish with me and we'd stop every so often for a water break. He was so excited to meet all the other visitors (who were thrilled to see him and pet him). I can't count the amount of times someone asked "is he friendly." 

Since we had to double back to catch two more falls, we ended up running into a lot of the same visitors more than once. I swear by the time we were done hiking I knew at least 75% of the visitors in the park. 


 The park offers beautiful views of waterfalls like this one. Bronx and I took selfies in front of most of them. He was pretty cooperative for a dog that doesn't have the patience for photo opportunities. 


All in all it was a very successful hiking day. I'm sore which means I got a good workout. Bronx didn't even put up a fuss as I left for work this morning. He calmly walked me to the door and then went back to whatever he was doing. I bet he sleeps most of the day. I think that is the most physical activity he's had in a long time. I'm so glad I got myself a little hiking dog. We're going to take advantage of day trips like this as much as possible. I know what happens as dogs get older, the hiking doesn't come as easy. We'll milk up these toddler dog years as best as we can. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...