Monday, February 15, 2016

Pushing and Breaking the Limits

The mind really has ultimate control over what you can and can not do. Friday night I was home eating pizza and drinking beer. One of my kickboxing instructors challenged us to take a video of us doing 30 burpees in a row. I hate burpees. I'm bad at them, I dread them, I can barely do 5. However, I was inspired by all the poor food choices I made the past week and I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. So I did. Actually I did about 55 burpees because my first two video takes I just about made it to 10 burpees and had to stop. 

I did 30 burpees on a full stomach in my apartment on a Friday night. BAM. 

In the spirit of continuing to push limits, I did something I've never done before last night. It was Valentine's Day and I had a great weekend. I went to a kickboxing event on Saturday and on Sunday cleaned the apartment and watched Valentine's Day with Bronx. 
Well, Sunday night I did a Valentine's Day Run with Philadelphia Runner. I've ran before. I've ran 5K before. I have NEVER run 3.4 miles in 14 degree weather! It was exhilarating. I finished in my normal time and made some new friends along the way. What a great Valentine's Day!

To top it all off, this morning I found out I got into the Broad Street Run. I'll be running 10 miles on May 1st! Now is the time to take training seriously. I mean, last year I winged it and finished in 2:26. This year, I'm hoping to finish in under 2 hours. I'm going to have to push and break my limits. But if I can do 30 burpees and run in 14 degree weather without dying, I can certainly train and crush my Broad Street Run goal. Right?

I think so. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...