Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Art of Storytelling

One moment I'm gently eyeing my peers success, reminding myself of my own mediocrity. The next moment, I'm on stage in front of a packed theater doing what I love best: being the center of attention. I mean...telling stories. 

Last night I competed in my second First Person Arts Story Slam. The theme, "Once More With Feeling" inspired me to tell the audience about a time I tried Pound Fitness, failed miserably and went back the next week to prove myself and try again. It was peppered with funny lines and moments and only went about 20 seconds over the 5 minute cut off mark. Judging was fierce and I received consistent 8's on Performance and an 8, 7 and 6 on content. 

I'll be honest, the 6 stung a bit. Granted, the judges were really strict and people were getting dealt average and below average scores all night for various things. What it did, though, was remind me that storytelling is an art. It doesn't matter how many times you make someone laugh...if you're at a storm slam...you need to tell a story. Which I did. But I analyzed my story and realized it lacked a story arc. It had a strong beginning and engaging middle but fell flat at the end. There was no suspense. So I'm going to take that lesson to heart the next time I perform in one of these things. 

Self-critic aside, I had a blast. I really enjoy listening to the other storytellers and being a part of the First Person Arts scene. It feels so good to be a part of something. It also feels good to do something I'm so passionate about. I was so wired last night I couldn't really sleep. I also had the absolute best Uber ride on my way home. My driver, Jean was playing Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You," which I happen to know ALL of the words to. I treated him to some white girl rapping and he was laughing so hard. He loved it. I was the best customer of the night. I bet my rating jumps from a 4.90 to a 4.91. (I take pride in my Uber passenger rating).

What's next? Well..working on that damn book of mine...taking my new found storytelling lessons to the Podcast because that REALLY needs some work AND quite possibly, throwing my hat in the stand up comedy ring. I found a show/contest thingy at the end of the month and I'm considering trying to put a bid in for a 4 minute set. We'll see what happens. Telling stories. Making people laugh. Being 100% me. These are a few of my favorite things. 

And yes...also being the center of attention for five minutes. That too.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...