Monday, January 16, 2017

7 Days Down...23 to Go #Whole30

I survived my first week of #Whole30 with only 3 minor cheats (all accidental). The first, I mentioned in a previous post was the Starbucks coconut milk that is not compliant. Didn't know, wasn't that much milk, everything is fine. The second cheat occurred when I went out to eat with my friend David. I got steak and eggs for dinner, a compliant meal with a side of sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms are typically compliant except when they are sauteed in garlic and butter. Butter is a no no. So to my horror, my delicious mushrooms were drenched in butter. I literally blotted each mushroom on a napkin before eating it. 

The third and final cheat was a oversight cheat. I ordered a Cobb salad for lunch yesterday with my friend. I can eat all the things in the Cobb, granted I should have asked about where the bacon came from/how it was prepared and read the menu better. I said no to dressing which was fine but I failed to notice the delicious salad comes with crumbles of cheese! Not sure what kind, could be goat or blue...but I'm not allowed cheese. So I tried to separate my salad from the cheese bits as best as I could. 

I'm now hesitant to eat out again during #Whole30. It is just too hard to have a perfectly clean meal when you have no control of preparation. Additionally, I don't want to be that person who sends stuff back to the kitchen to accommodate my diet. I have a corporate lunch today an I've already identified what I'm eating and then I think its cold turkey for dining out for me. 

As far as intentional cheats go...I have none. I've stuck to the program faithfully. So far I've lost about 10lbs. I'm learning more about the different foods I can have and how to prepare them, trying to diversify my meals. Last night I had mini turkey burgers with avocado mash, tomato and asparagus. So good! Tonight I'm trying a linguine which is made from bell peppers, zucchini and shrimp. 

I'm also trying to think about how to maintain this lifestyle to a certain degree after Whole30. I don't want to just binge eat all the things I couldn't have before and gain all the weight back. I have to figure out a healthy balance that isn't so restricting (I'm gonna eat cheese) but isn't too far from the #whole30 guidelines because let's face it...this "diet" is totally working. I feel more focused, I have more energy and I am 100% committed to finishing strong. 

So that's the update for now. Everything else in life is fine. Got my oil changed and laundry done this weekend so that was great. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...