Skip to main content

#Whole30 Day 2

I made it through my first day of #Whole30! Woo hoo! I did not cheat nor kill anyone. It was an interesting experience, though. 

First of all, I thought I was pretty prepared for this venture. I spent $91 in groceries and was ready to reap the Whole30 benefits. Then I didn't prep the night before my first day and had to resort to a massive salad for lunch. Needless to say, I was pretty hungry after lunch and as late afternoon went on. By the time I got home I had stomach cramps. Whole30 stresses that you eat when you're hungry, no deprivation. Well, I am going to have to pack way more food to feel full. 

By the end of the day, I was cranky. I was definitely craving some quick carbs. I made a surprisingly delicious spaghetti squash, chicken, tomato, onion casserole last night. It came out great and now I know how spaghetti squash works (it is kind of fun to prepare. I was amusing myself as I raked out the flesh and it looks like spaghetti). By the way, who on earth was the first person to think "mmm, let me cut this orange/yellow gourd in half and rake the flesh out and eat it?" In other news, my dog likes spaghetti squash. 

So by bedtime I was somewhat satisfied, still a little hunger and very irritable. I was tired and cranky. I'm guessing this is a byproduct of sugar withdraw. I'm told it only gets worse. I did however wake up rested and in a great mood, ready to start the day! For breakfast I had a grapefruit and two hard boiled eggs. For lunch I have my spaghetti squash casserole and fruit and baby carrots. Dinner will be a venison stir fry over riced cauliflower. I found some new recipes I'm excited to try for next week including smoke salmon fritatas and an avocado BLT egg salad recipe.  

I'm getting used to black coffee. Today when I ordered it the cashier at Dunkin was like, "Um, you may want to try that. It is black." At first I thought something was wrong with the coldbrew batch...then I realized he thought I made a mistake by ordering the super strong coffee black. No sir, I know what I'm doing. Not sure I'll drink my coffee/tea black forever but I can make it through the next 28 days with it this way.

I haven't mustered up the courage to try the coconut milk yet. I'm dreading it. I don't like coconut and that is one of the main things you can eat/use. Coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut flakes, coconut this, coconut that. Also sweet potatoes...that is another one that there are six million recipes for. I don't like sweet potatoes either. Sigh. 

Anyway, here's to sticking with the challenge. I think I can do this. Can't wait for the slump!

Until next time....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are Destined for Greatness

I pondered the idea of writing "You are Destined for Greatness" and taping it to my bathroom mirror. It sounds like an incredibly cheesy idea straight out of a self-help book, but I thought it was worth trying. Upon further relfection of this idea, I realized it would fail. Not because I would laugh at that statement daily, but rather, I take 100 degree showers. So the ink would run and the paper would crinkle. Plus, I need the whole mirror to examine myself in the morning anyway.

What is greatness? Is it the attribute of world leaders and life changers, or is it a quality in which we can all possess? Is greatness a thing we strive for? Does the prospect of greatness motivate us?

I think it may motivate me. In high school, countless people told me "Mary Anna, you are going places." "Mary Anna, you're going to do big things." "Mary Anna, you're going to be somebody big someday." I'm trying to capture some of that high school MAness …

7 Days Down...23 to Go #Whole30

I survived my first week of #Whole30 with only 3 minor cheats (all accidental). The first, I mentioned in a previous post was the Starbucks coconut milk that is not compliant. Didn't know, wasn't that much milk, everything is fine. The second cheat occurred when I went out to eat with my friend David. I got steak and eggs for dinner, a compliant meal with a side of sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms are typically compliant except when they are sauteed in garlic and butter. Butter is a no no. So to my horror, my delicious mushrooms were drenched in butter. I literally blotted each mushroom on a napkin before eating it. 

The third and final cheat was a oversight cheat. I ordered a Cobb salad for lunch yesterday with my friend. I can eat all the things in the Cobb, granted I should have asked about where the bacon came from/how it was prepared and read the menu better. I said no to dressing which was fine but I failed to notice the delicious salad comes with crumbles of cheese! Not …

Holy Shit, August.

This month seems nothing short of incredibly. I mean, seriously. It may have been the best month of my life and that is no exaggeration. Let's recap:

August 6
On August 6th my best friend David and I went to see Phillip Phillips and Goo Goo Dolls in concert at Festival Pier. We got there early but a line had formed all the way to Dave and Busters. I thought for sure we'd be stuck in the back of the concert crowd but upon entering the venue I learned that only two full rows had formed (it was GA). I snagged us a spot in row 3/4 a little to the right of the stage. It was perfect. We're going to make it a point to go see them every year. Such a fun concert! 

August 12
I bought tickets months ago but didn't have any friends available for this magical weekend. It was a party bus day trip to Atlantic City. Within the first 20 minutes of the bus ride I had made some friends. I knew the hostess but that was it. Unfortunately after some imbibing I found I was way more interested in…