Tuesday, January 10, 2017

#Whole30 Day 2

I made it through my first day of #Whole30! Woo hoo! I did not cheat nor kill anyone. It was an interesting experience, though. 

First of all, I thought I was pretty prepared for this venture. I spent $91 in groceries and was ready to reap the Whole30 benefits. Then I didn't prep the night before my first day and had to resort to a massive salad for lunch. Needless to say, I was pretty hungry after lunch and as late afternoon went on. By the time I got home I had stomach cramps. Whole30 stresses that you eat when you're hungry, no deprivation. Well, I am going to have to pack way more food to feel full. 

By the end of the day, I was cranky. I was definitely craving some quick carbs. I made a surprisingly delicious spaghetti squash, chicken, tomato, onion casserole last night. It came out great and now I know how spaghetti squash works (it is kind of fun to prepare. I was amusing myself as I raked out the flesh and it looks like spaghetti). By the way, who on earth was the first person to think "mmm, let me cut this orange/yellow gourd in half and rake the flesh out and eat it?" In other news, my dog likes spaghetti squash. 

So by bedtime I was somewhat satisfied, still a little hunger and very irritable. I was tired and cranky. I'm guessing this is a byproduct of sugar withdraw. I'm told it only gets worse. I did however wake up rested and in a great mood, ready to start the day! For breakfast I had a grapefruit and two hard boiled eggs. For lunch I have my spaghetti squash casserole and fruit and baby carrots. Dinner will be a venison stir fry over riced cauliflower. I found some new recipes I'm excited to try for next week including smoke salmon fritatas and an avocado BLT egg salad recipe.  

I'm getting used to black coffee. Today when I ordered it the cashier at Dunkin was like, "Um, you may want to try that. It is black." At first I thought something was wrong with the coldbrew batch...then I realized he thought I made a mistake by ordering the super strong coffee black. No sir, I know what I'm doing. Not sure I'll drink my coffee/tea black forever but I can make it through the next 28 days with it this way.

I haven't mustered up the courage to try the coconut milk yet. I'm dreading it. I don't like coconut and that is one of the main things you can eat/use. Coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut flakes, coconut this, coconut that. Also sweet potatoes...that is another one that there are six million recipes for. I don't like sweet potatoes either. Sigh. 

Anyway, here's to sticking with the challenge. I think I can do this. Can't wait for the slump!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What if I'm not a Writer?

I've mentioned this before. My first book I ever wrote was a few chapters long. Each page was a new chapter. I was in second or third ...